Monday, March 28, 2011

Pro-Runners

Lately Ben has become an extreme runner; meaning he runs six to eight miles with the dog in tow. He has downloaded apps that track his running, how fast and how far. He has been sending me countless emails inviting me to participate in every half marathon from San Diego to Texas. And this past weekend he all but coerced our family into joining the Race for Autism run/walk-a-thon. Of course we all good-heartedly showed up with just a little grumbling about the early hour of arrival. But the real trial began when Ben and I ran the 5k together; by together I mean that he would not leave my side. Since we were late (true to the Mack in Ben) we had to sprint the first half mile to get past all the speed walkers, at which time I was spent for the rest of the day. Regardless of my efforts, I could not shake the ameba attached to my. I considered pushing Ben off the Balboa bridge as he kept sticking out his hand for a high five and taking pictures of me in all my glory with his phone. We did finish the race with both of us alive, barely. Next time I'm getting a new running buddy.





Blaine indulging in frosting:



Blaine's cute moments:
- A few months ago, Blaine got so used to reading scriptures that when we said "scripture time" before bed, he would crawl under the end table and bring us the scriptures. Once I was busy watching tv, and he decided on his own that it was time to read and he brought me the scriptures.
- When we say a prayer, Blaine folds his arms. Every once in a while he'll slowly unfold them in the middle of the prayer to start eating the food in front of him before we're done.
- Blaine hates getting his diaper changed. I'll say "it's time to change your deep", to which he runs to the corner and covers his eyes with his hands (like that makes him invisible).

4 comments:

Kiana Hayden said...

Two things I love about this post: Ben ran the 5K in his frog shoes and picturing Blainey sneak food during the prayer.

Melinda said...

That is hilarious! I probably bugged my husband too much about running when he first started out, much like your husband does to you. I didn't know you and your family were in San Diego! Lucky! I need to move back to the home state.

Jenny said...

Jess, you are usually the hardcore one dragging people out running!! I love that Ben convinced not just you, but your entire family to come out for the race. Convince him to come run something up our way so we can see you guys!! There are lots of hilly trail runs that don't sound fun at all to me, but maybe they would to Ben!

John and Courtney Houghton said...

So fun! I love Blaine's cute moments. My husband decides to be my personal trainer when we run together and it drives me crazy. I hate running. If you really do come out to Texas for a marathon... you better stop by!! :)