
Although I do not currently live in California, I am still a registered resident of the state, and believe that sometime soon I will move back there. However, it worries me to move back to a place that is trying to change the legalized definition of marriage, that is between a man and a woman. It is not that I do not think homosexual couples should be given the same rights as married couples (which they currently do), but I disagree with the implications that will follow if Prop 8 is denied.
By allowing the term "marriage" to encompass homosexual as well as heterosexual partnerships, public schools will be required to teach that same-sex relationships are normal and right. While many may feel that this is okay, my rights as a parent and as a religious identity are being taken away. I have the right to raise my children as I see fit, with the values I choose to instill within them. It is my right to teach my children about relationships in the manner that I agree with. However, if Prop 8 is denied, the teaching of same-sex relationships will be required in the school curriculum, for children as young as kindergartners, without a parent consent.
Attached is an article written by a liberal democrat stating why he agrees with Prop 8, in regards to children's rights:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-blankenhorn19-2008sep19,0,2093869.story
Vote YES on Prop 8!
2 comments:
Very well put. VOTE YES FOR PROP 8!!!
I love the new blog backround!!
Post a Comment